Emery County School District
Policy: GBGCA-Breastfeeding in the Workplace
Date Adopted: 15 July 2015
Current Review / Revision: 15 July 2015
Utah Code requires schools to provide, where reasonably feasible, the following accommodations for employees who have a child that they are breastfeeding:
Provide, for at least one year after the birth of an employee's child, reasonable breaks for each time the public employee needs to breast feed or express milk and consult with the employee to determine the frequency and duration of the breaks. The break required shall, to the extent possible, run concurrent with any other break periods otherwise provided to the employee.
Provide for an employee a room or other location, other than a restroom or toilet stall, that:
- is in close proximity to the employee's work area;
- is maintained in a clean and sanitary condition;
- provides privacy from view and intrusion from coworkers or the public;
- is available at the times and for a duration required by the employee as determined in consultation with the employee; and
- has an electrical outlet.
3.Each school shall provide access to a clean and well-maintained refrigerator or freezer for the temporary storage of the employee's breast milk.
Non-Discrimination: A school district may not refuse to hire or promote; may not discharge, demote, or terminate a person; and, may not retaliate against, harass, or discriminate in matters of compensation or in terms, privileges, and conditions of employment against a person otherwise qualified because the person breastfeeds or expresses milk in the workplace.