IHBG - Home Schools

Emery County School District

Policy: IHBG—Home Schools

Date Adopted: 7 September 1988

Current Review / Revision: 7 May 2014

As required by Utah code 53G-6-204, the Board of Education shall excuse students from district school attendance if the student's legal parent or guardian submits a signed and notarized affidavit that the student will attend a home school. The parent assumes sole responsibility for the education of the school-age minor, except to the extent the school-age minor is dual enrolled in a public school. (53G-6-702)

A signed and notarized affidavit shall remain in effect as long as the school-age minor attends a home school and remains within the School District.

The legal parent or guardian of a minor attending a home school is solely responsible for:

  • the selection of instructional materials and textbooks;

  • the time, place, and method of instruction;

  • the evaluation of the home school instruction;

  • maintaining records of instruction and attendance;

  • credentials for individuals providing home school instruction;

  • adequacy of home school facilities; and

  • standardized or other testing of home school students.

The School District may not require a parent of a school-age minor who attends a home school to maintain records of instruction or attendance, require credentials for individuals providing home school instruction, inspect home school facilities, or require testing of home school students.

Upon the request of a parent, the School District shall identify the knowledge, skills, and competencies a student is recommended to attain by grade level and subject area to assist the parent in achieving college and career readiness through home school.

The School District shall issue a certificate stating that the school-age minor is excused from attendance for the specified school year within 30 days of receiving the signed and notarized affidavit from the parent and on or before August 1st each year thereafter, unless the school-age minor enrolls in a school within the School District, the parents notifies the School District that the school-age minor no longer attends a home school, or the school age minor’s district of residence has changed.

If a home school student returns to the public-school system, they are required to meet all graduation requirements established by the School/School District and the Utah State Board of Education in order to receive a Diploma of Graduation from a District high school.

When a home school student transfers from a home school to a public school, the public school shall place the student in the grade levels, classes, or courses that the student's parent or guardian and in consultation with the school

administrator determine are appropriate based on the parent's or guardian's assessment of the student's academic performance.

Within 30 days of a home school student's placement in a public-school grade level, class, or course, either the student's teacher or the student's parent or guardian may request a conference to consider changing the student's placement. If the student's teacher and the student's parent or guardian agree on a placement change, the public school shall place the student in the agreed upon grade level, class, or course.

If the student's teacher and the student's parent or guardian, do not agree on a placement change, the public school shall evaluate the student's subject matter mastery. The student's parent or guardian has the option of either allowing the public school to administer, to the student, assessments that are regularly administered to public school students; and used to measure public school students' subject matter mastery and determine placement; or having a private entity or individual administer assessments of subject matter mastery to the student at the parent's or guardian's expense.

After an evaluation of a student's subject matter mastery, a public school may change a student's placement in a grade level, class, or course.

This section does not apply to a student who is dual enrolled in a public school and a home school pursuant to Section 53G-6-702.

Dual Enrollment

Upon request by the legal parent or guardian, a student who has been released from school district attendance for home school instruction, may enroll in school district courses at the school they would normally attend.

Dual enrollment students shall be subject to the same behavior and discipline responsibilities and requirements of a full-time student.

Dual enrollment students shall be subject to administrative scheduling and teacher discretion of the public school.

Dual enrollment students shall be eligible for any academic activities consistent with eligibility standards for fully enrolled traditional public-school students. The home school student may only participate in extracurricular or school day activities at the school within whose boundaries the student's custodial parent(s) or legal guardian resides.

Dual enrollment students are responsible for school fees in the same manner as full-time public-school students and will be eligible for fee waivers as required under state law and state board of education rules.

Eligibility for extra-curricular activities within the School District shall be governed by Board Policy JJJA – Extra Curricular Activities for Homes School and Private School Students

A student with disabilities may participate as a dual enrollment student consistent with Utah law.

The student shall have a service plan in place prior to participation in dual enrollment using comparable procedures to those required for identifying and evaluating public school students.

Students with disabilities seeking dual enrollment shall be entitled to services only in the same proportional amount that the number of home/private school students residing in the district is to the total number of students with disabilities in the district.

Decisions about the scheduling and manner of services provided shall be the responsibility of school and district personnel.